The basket has been updated
Cannellini Bean and Candy Beetroot Risotto
A Creamy Risotto with Vibrant Pink Beetroot.
- vegetable stock 2.5l
- candy beetroot, cut into 1cm cubes 300g
- white onion, cut into 1cm cubes 1 large
- white of the leek (green of the leek used for stock), cut into 1cm pieces 1 large
- celery, cut into 1cm cubes 3 sticks
- garlic 1 clove
- cooked cannellini beans 400g
- Canaroli Risotto rice 400g
- Dry prosecco 200ml
- parmesan, freshly grated 80g
- butter 200g
- light olive oil 50ml
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Gently cook the beetroot cubes in 500ml of the vegetable stock till just cooked, about 35 minutes.
- In a thick bottomed sauté pan, melt half of the butter and the olive oil. Add the onion, leek and celery and sweat down for 15 minutes without allowing any colour.
- Pour in the risotto rice and cook over a medium heat until the rice is opaque, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the prosecco and cook until it has evaporated. Then pour in a large ladle of hot vegetable stock. Stir until this has evaporated, then add more stock. Continue like this until the rice is just cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked beetroot and Cannellini beans and stir. Add the rest of the butter, half of the parmesan, salt and pepper, stir well and check the seasoning. Serve the risotto hot with the rest of the parmesan sprinkled on each plate.
About Candy Beetroot
The aptly named candy beetroot is as sweet as candy and its flesh is made up of beautiful, alternating red and white rings. Beetroot is also known for its health benefits like improve performance and endurance in athletes, improving digestion, and increasing oxygen to the brain to name a few.